The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

July 18, 2013

Enid Scout attending National Jamboree in West Virginia

By Jared Spencer, Special to the News & Eagle
Enid News and Eagle

Editor’s note: Jared Spencer, Eagle Scout with Enid’s Boy Scout Troop 27, is attending the National Jamboree through July 24 in Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve in West Virginia. Boy Scout Jamboree is held every four years and is a nationwide activity, with more than 40,000 Scouts expected in attendance.

Leaving Oklahoma was a trying time for state Boy Scouts heading to the National Jamboree.

We left at 10:30 from Ardmore, and after only about three hours of driving, we got a flat tire on the charter bus at the border with Arkansas. We stayed at a gas station for four hours. It was hard, the air conditioning was broken and barely put anything out. After we got the tire fixed, we got to Conway, Ark., when another tire went flat. We stayed there for a long time.

We ordered pizza and waited for another bus. By 10 o’clock the other bus got there. We changed all the luggage to the other bus and went to Little Rock for a break. Then, we headed off. We stopped near Nashville, Tenn., at 6 for a break. Then we got to Knoxville and changed buses again.

After breakfast, we drove a long time and got to Lexington, Va. There, we changed buses and drove to Richmond and had lunch at 4 p.m. We drove to Williamsburg and got there about 6:30. We stayed at our hotel. We swam and had dinner at Cici’s near the hotel. We stayed the night, and the next morning woke up at 6 a.m. We packed and ate, then we loaded the bus and left to tour Jamestown.

Sunday, we toured Washington, D.C. We went to the monuments and some museums. It was hot and we saw many of the other Scout troops. All the museums and monuments looked great. The Washington Monument is being repaired because it was cracking.

Then, we slept at the hotel and woke up about at 4 to get to Jamboree site. We checked in and set up all the tents. It was tiring because we had to set up a lot of tents. It took really long because there were a few people not helping. After we set up, we got to walk around. It already looks fun and has been fun. I’ve met many people, and I’m looking forward to the rest of the week.

The last two days have been busy. Yesterday we climbed to the top of the summit. Up on top were some awesome games. They had Highland games, which are Scottish games. They were really fun. Some of my friends are thinking about buying kilts. Also, they had an Indian village, with dancing and making Indian-type jewelry. The dancing looked great.

Thursday, we walked around camp and looked at some cool technology. It’s been raining a bunch, so some things are closed, which isn’t fun.