The Enid News and Eagle, Enid, OK

January 15, 2014

No injuries in Norman sorority house fire

Joy Hampton
Norman Transcript / CNHI News Service

NORMAN, Okla. — A fire at Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, 930 Chautauqua, was called in shortly before 11 p.m. on Tuesday, fire officials reported. The AGD house on Chautauqua Avenue is part of “sorority row” located near campus just north of Lindsey Street. Flames were clearly visible in the night sky as firefighters worked to contain the blaze.

When fire crews arrived on the scene, flames were coming from the roof, Deputy Fire Chief Jim Bailey said.

Everyone was safely evacuated, and no injuries had been reported as of press time.

Bailey said the fire was attacked from the inside and no outside stream of water was used. The blaze was brought under control by 11:30 p.m., but crews remained on the scene to fight hot spots.

Residents of other houses along the row and other students lined the streets. None of them had heard any chatter as to the possible cause of the blaze, though one man said the sorority had been doing construction on the roof.

The fire marshals were on the scene, but Bailey said there were no indications of the cause of the fire as of press time.

“It appears most of the fire had been in the attic area,” Jim Bailey said.

---

Hampton writes for Norman Transcript, a CNHI News Service publication.