Enid News and Eagle
ENID, Okla. —
A gathering of friends and family celebrating the life of Biddle Bellmont Shelby will be 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 1, 2012, in Marshall Lions North Cemetery, Marshall, Okla. Cremation arrangements by Billings Funeral Home, Woodward.
Biddle was the only son of Sylvia Irene (Biddle) and Derwood Bellmont Shelby. He was born Oct. 2, 1927, in Winfield, Kan., and passed away Saturday, Nov. 17, 2012, at his home near Fargo, Okla.
He attended Maple Grove, a one-room schoolhouse, and graduated from Winfield High School.
Biddle served with the U.S. Army in Korea and Japan near the end of World War II. His mechanical aptitude was appreciated and he advanced as a diesel mechanic instructor to the rank of master sergeant.
Following an honorable discharge, he met his future bride, Esther Schiewe, while attending Southwestern College.
His entrepreneurial venture began in heavy construction, building town and market roads as well as soil conservation dams. His company built missile site roads in Kansas under government contracts.
Biddle followed the oil field hotspots with a diesel repair shop, settling in western Oklahoma.
Later in life, Biddle found and overhauled vintage tractors for himself and others, specializing in 2-cylinder John Deere.
He was contacted often for historical consultation and troubleshooting. He made many friends across the country and Canada.
Biddle participated in many tractor pulls, shows and parades with a picnic and grandchildren in tow.
He was a proud charter member of Fairview’s Red Carpet 2-Cylinder Club and served as district director. He was a member of Woodward First Christian Church, American Legion, VFW Post 1335 and the Lions Club.
He is survived by his wife, Esther of the home; three children, Irvin and wife Linda of Sulphur, Brad and wife Annette of Marshall, and Janet Murphy and husband Mike of Marshall; and grandchildren, Mandy Shelby, Amy Shelby, Angie Shelby, Shelby Murphy, Earl Murphy, Benjamin Shelby, Bryan George and the late Bethany Peckham.
Memorials may be given to the Marshall Lions Cemetery Fund.
(Submitted by family)