If you’ve never had to call on the power of prayer, you might not realize just how powerful prayer can be.
This summer has been a tragic one for the Enid area. We’ve seen too many of our young people die or be severely injured, and it hurts. We may not know the people involved personally, but any parent knows how they would feel if their own child were killed or injured.
The pain can be so deep it is unbearable.
Here in Enid and in Oklahoma, many of us believe in the power of prayer. We believe in the power of prayer to heal, to bring strength and courage and to bring peace.
In the wake of the tragedies that have befallen area families this summer, I have been most impressed with the way people have come together to be supportive through prayer.
We often bemoan the ills of social media, such as Facebook, but I have also seen Facebook be the catalyst for prayer for families and for victims. Many of us are familiar with church prayer chains, but Facebook takes it even a step further. Facebook reaches people beyond the walls of a church or congregation.
Through Facebook, many people are seeing news of a death or injury, and they express support and prayers for the victims and families involved. To those who don’t understand the power of prayer, it may seem superficial. But to those who have seen what prayer can do, it is a source of comfort and strength.
In difficult circumstances, support from friends and family is vital and provides comfort. Knowing people are praying for you does help. It does give strength.
As mere human beings, we don’t always understand why things happen. But we do understand and appreciate support when we are hurting or afraid. If you believe in the power of prayer, you are blessed indeed.
Cindy Allen is managing editor of the Enid News & Eagle. She can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 580-548-8163.
- Cindy's Corner
- CINDY'S CORNER: Sometimes it's hard to resist the drama on Facebook
- CINDY'S CORNER: Power of prayer expands through Facebook
- CINDY'S CORNER: 'Terrorist' mantra shows level of desperation
- CINDY'S CORNER: This royal couple has a better shot at success
- CINDY'S CORNER: OKC bombing aftermath showed the nation what Oklahoma is all about
- CINDY'S CORNER: Battling Trump on birth certificate issue won't be easy
- CINDY'S CORNER: Care needs to be taken each year on who goes on D.C. trip
- CINDY'S CORNER: It seems too easy to play 'gotcha' with officials
CINDY'S CORNER: Fresh faces offer Enid opportunity
There are some fresh faces in this community who have made their home here and who believe in Enid and believe what Enid can do.
Could a Halloween haunted house be classified a torture chamber?
Based on latest news story about alleged terrorist torture, these entertaiment venues use torture techniques.
- More Cindy's Corner Headlines